Thursday 13 April 2017

Easter Baking: Naked Layer Cake & White Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crispy Squares



Easter is my favourite time of year, and it's pretty big in Cyprus so there are plenty of decorations to choose from! A friend and I are hosting a coffee morning tomorrow (Good Friday) so what better excuse is there to whip out my baking tins?!  I decided to make two recipes, so for any of you wanting to make some last minute Easter treats, here's what we've made.

Naked Lemon Layer Cake 

I love naked layer cakes, I think they're so rustic and perfect for spring/summer.  It's my first attempt and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome especially as I was up against the clock with nap time due to end and trying to keep Emelia from eating all of the icing! I chose to flavour it with lemon, as it felt a little more Spring like, but you could make it plain or any flavour you fancy. I use a pretty straight forward recipe for all cakes I make, just tweak it slightly depending on the flavours: 


For the sponge: 

225g Self Raising Flour 
225g Caster Sugar 
225g Unsalted Butter 
4 eggs 
Zest of 2 lemons finely grated 


For the buttercream: 

500g Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons milk 
125g Unsalted Butter 
Juice of 2 Lemons 

As it's Easter I picked up some appropriate decorations, but you could use anything! 



White Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crispy Squares 



The second Easter treat I made, I made with a lot more help from Emelia.  We decided to make white chocolate and peanut butter crispy squares. I had been promising her we would bake something (technically these are no bake) and this was the perfect recipe for her to be involved with, she really enjoyed helping, it's definitely a child friendly, straight forward and fairly quick thing to make. I got the recipe from the lovely Kirsty over at Winnettes Parenting and Baking Blog. I have to say when I saw her post I wasn't sure about the white chocolate and peanut butter combo, but let me tell you, it's amazing! I didn't have any egg moulds to make them look as nice as she did so I simply put the mixture into a baking tray and popped it in the fridge.  Once it had set I cut it into sqaures, and voila!  You can find her full blog post and recipe here


Have you made any Easter treats?  I'd love to see your posts, please leave links in the comment section. 

Happy Easter! 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig